Wednesday, November 27, 2013

30 Days of Thankful and Bridegroom

Long time, no new post. Sorry about that! We've had a crazy few days around here, but now that the kids are out of school for Thanksgiving, things are quieting down a bit. I spent some time this morning catching up on 30 Days of Thankful. Here are pages 12 - 26.















I can't believe that I only have four days left until this project is complete. It's gone by quickly, and it's been fun. Yay for easy-to-do albums!

I was in my studio last week looking for something interesting to watch, when I happened upon a documentary called "Bridegroom" on iTunes.


I watched the trailer, and knew instantly that I absolutely had to see it. As it turns out, this film has had an incredible impact on me. It's the true story of a young man named Shane Bitney Crone, and his life with his boyfriend, Tom Bridegroom. Shane was the love of Tom's life, and Tom was the same for Shane.




Tom and Shane shared a home, a business, and a six year relationship. Together, they traveled the world.




When a tragic accident took Tom's life, Shane was unable to be with Tom at the hospital, or even attend his funeral. Why? Because in the state of California where they lived, marriage between same sex couples is not legal. Tom's parents were able to deny Shane permission to attend Tom's funeral, and Shane had no recourse, no legal rights.

I have felt for a long time that marriage equality is important, and should be legal in all 50 states. I don't think I really "got" it, however, until I watched this film. It's so clear to me that marriage equality is not a gay thing or a straight thing, a conservative thing or a liberal thing. It's a human thing. So if you can, watch Bridegroom. Watch it with your kids, like I have. Discuss why it's important for all people to share the same rights. Why love is love, and gender doesn't matter. I promise, this film will touch you heart!


No comments: